Mr. Hernstrom was named as the General Manager/Executive Director of Mylan Park in January of 2018. In this role he serves as the department’s senior leader and is responsible for overall critical business functions for the park. Several of his key responsibilities including: recruiting, master and capital planning, fiscal strategy, strategic direction, stakeholder engagement, lease and agreement management, business planning, and quality control. Mr. Hernstrom also serves as the direct advisor to nineteen member Mylan Park Foundation Board of Directors and the six-member Executive Board.
Before his appointment in 2018, Hernstrom served CENTERS for more than 7 years as the Associate Director of Campus Recreation at Marshall University. Prior to joining CENTERS in 2010, Keith’s career saw him serving at other public collegiate recreation institutions as well as large-scale municipal parks and recreation departments in both Ohio and Colorado. Under his leadership, Mylan Park is transforming into north central West Virginia’s premier recreation, sport, social, health and wellness complex. With the addition of the 40-million-dollar joint use Aquatic & Track Center in 2018, Mylan Park has gained national, regional, and local attention for its state-of-the-art facilities and innovative community engagement. Home to several WVU athletic programs, the 2020 NCAA Big 12 Swimming & Diving Meet, local high school athletics, youth sports, the area’s largest event center of its kind, and an ever-growing array of programming for all ages, Mylan Park and Hernstrom’s team are truly serving to better the lives of the entire community.
- M.S. Organizational Leadership (Colorado State University)
- B.S. Recreation Management / Journalism and Mass Communications (Kent State University)
Certifications / Associations:
- National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association (NIRSA)
- National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA)
- American Red Cross – CPR/AED/First Aid/BBP Instructor Certification
- American Red Cross – Kayak, Sailing, Canoe Safety
- Colorado Parks and Recreation Association
- Ohio Parks and Recreation Association
- National Swimming Pool Foundation – Certified Pool Operator
- Wilderness Medical Association – Wilderness First Aid
- Serving the American Rinks – Basic Refrigeration Systems Certification
- Serving the American Rinks – Ice Rink Operator Certification